Thursday 14 February 2013

Seedy bow headband

I have been procrastinating starting my next big project because it involves learning and practicing intarsia beforehand. So instead I decided to make another headband, the seedy bow headband (can also be found here).

Headbands have been very popular in the past couple of years, and they are great little projects to work on: they are very fast and take very little yarn (I have only ever made them using scraps). And I find that they are better than hats at keeping your ears warm, plus they don't squash your hair as much, which is a bonus.

I made this using leftovers from a hat I made as a gift over Christmas. As an aside, I didn't really like this yarn (James Brett monsoon; bought at the Ali Pally knitting fair again): although the colours are pretty and it is very soft, it is fuzzy, not tightly wound and had random furry bits and thin bits scatted throughout. The pattern is very very simple (for a beginner knitter really!), although I find seed stitch quite dull. I modified it slightly, by casting on 85 stitches, knitting 3" for the main band, and then casting on 25 stitches for the bow and knitting 2".






So if you have some scraps left over from a bigger project, why not have a look at ravelry for some headband ideas?



2 comments:

  1. I stumbled across you via Google+. Love the headband! Love it more because you knitted it to stave off learning intarsia. If you only knew what talents I have learned while avoiding intarsia! *laughs* And after all, one can never have TOO many headbands, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, no, definitely not! i am already planning to make a crochet version of this in cotton for the summer. Please tell me you eventually convinced yourself to use intarsia though, I really do want to make that project, I even have all the yarn ready!

      Delete