Monday 4 February 2013

Low-fat cake?

That's absurd, right!? I have been trying to bake something every week in an effort to get better at it, but this does not work well with the post-holiday, post-diet weight gain. While on a diet last year I stumbled upon a recipe for a cake with no butter, just yoghurt, so I thought I would give it another go.
I based it on this recipe  for orange and yoghurt cake, but I decided to try lemon and poppy seed instead.

I used:
170g total 0% greek yoghurt (ie one small tin)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (I think that's 30ml?)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon (although in hindsight 2 lemons would have been better).
3 eggs
200g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
Poppy seeds (didn't measure, just stirred in until the distribution looked right).

Then followed the instructions as per the recipe above (ie whip eggs, yoghurt, oil, lemon zest, then add dry ingredients and mix some more before adding the poppy seeds and lemon juice). One thing that always annoys me with cake recipes is if the instructions don't specify fan on non-fan over. In this case I assumed it meant non-fan so baked at 160 degrees for 45 min, and then I think another 10 minutes until the tester came out dry. Pressumably the extra baking time was because the recipe did mean fan oven... I may have been better off taking it out a little earlier too.

Anyway, apart from a slight overwhipping of the eggs it turned out good, and as you can see we already ate half of it! So I guess it is possible to make a slightly low fat cake that tastes good

No comments:

Post a Comment