Saturday 9 February 2013

Granola chocolate chip cookies

I had planned to go for another low-fat recipe for this week's bake. However, I was a little short of time for a cake - some friends were coming over to our neighbourhood for lunch and I wanted to quickly prepare something in case we decided to come back to ours for coffee (you should always have something at home to give to guests, rights?). I was tempted to go for the peanut butter choc chip cookies from the Primrose bakery cookbook because I have made them before and they are truly yummy, but in the spirit of being adventurous I decided to try the granola white choc chip cookies instead (from the same book).

I have wanted to try these for a while, but granola is not cheap, and somehow it felt like a bit of a waste to use it for cookies. The book suggests making your own and includes a recipe for this, but I still haven't gotten round to that (will certainly write about it if I do anyway). So I bought probably one of the cheapest boxes of granola I could find that still looked pretty tasty (in case I wanted to eat it for breakfast) and came in one of my favourite flavours - apple and cinnamon. I really dislike white chocolate (its not chocolate, its sugar!) so instead I used some regular chocolate chips, but not that many so as to not overpower the granola flavours. The recipe also calls for almonds, which I did not include.




(I quick clearly need to start taking better pictures!). 

Ok they do look a bit wonky, but I was in a rush so I basically just dumped a spoonful of dough on the baking sheet rather than make nice symmetrical cookie balls. They also look a bit paler than I expected - I contemplated leaving them in for longer than the recommended 10 minutes, but then you run the risk of them drying up.

Verdict: I thought they were pretty tasty and the right level of chewiness, with a good crunch  and a nice cinnamon-y flavour from the granola. Next time I would probably either opt for a plainer granola and add more choc chips (or maybe just oats, that's a classic too although you lose the crunch ), or omit the choc chips and use a tasty granola like this one. 

PS. I debating whether it was ok to post my 'adapted' recipe here. I read through some articles about the rules of copyright and recipe re-posting.  Although technically what I made is sufficiently different from the recipe in the book, I feel that it is a bit wrong to republish something that is not freely available without permission (my line of work has probably instilled some copyright guilt in me...). At least for now anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment