Sunday 28 December 2014

Version 2s, or new and improved

Let's face it, like a lot of knitters out there, I am a bit lazy. I really should start by reading the pattern carefully, thinking about any modifications I want to make, drafting them and then starting. Sometimes I read others' comments on Ravelry. Most of the time, I skim the pattern, start knitting and then realise how I could have changed it to make my life easier (its always about making my life easier!).

This is partly why the second time around is always easier. So for my friends' Christmas knits this year I decided to make the modified versions of a few projects I have made in the past year to see if there are any improvements.

First was Almond Comfit. For my version I used a variegated yarn and I made the medium size, which makes it more beret-like because there is a lot more body to the hat. For my friend I opted for the smaller size because her head is, I think, smaller, but after trying it on myself I decided that I would have preferred this one too. It still has an element of slouchiness (so its not quite a beanie) but its more tightly fitted and I think perhaps more flattering. I also used plain colour yarn and so the flower is now far more visible. All in all, I would say an improvement!



Next were the Lush Lace mitts, which I also made earlier this year and I love! But I figured that they can easily be made on the round throughout, and still add the buttons for prettiness. At first I converted all the stitches to knitting on the round (so knit all round for stockinette, purl all round for reverse stockinette and knit on RS/purl on WS for garter). Then I realised that the garter stitch was only there to 'house' the buttons so I decided (around row 6) to switch to reverse stockinette and reduce the number of stitches so that there are only 2, as with the reverse stockinette in the middle of the pattern (in between the two blocks of lace). 

So, to cut a long story short, if you want to convert this one to knit on the round, cast on 30 stitches instead of 32, and do two stitches in reverse stockinette (so purl all rows) in between the two blocks of lace (which should be in knit throughout). I added two buttons but because its made in the round you can get away with just having them plain.


Finally, we have Catching Butterflies, which have become my favourite lightweight mitts. When I first made them I had thought that the body didn't need to be as long, and so that only two (rather than three) repeats before the thumb would work just as well. I had also considered making the top a little longer to increase finger coverage for warmth. For these, I only shortened the body but kept the top the same as I have found that I quite like the length for those not-so-cold days (the yarn is not warm enough anyway when its actually cold). 

These were probably my least successful V2s, mainly due to the yarn choice rather than the modification. The original was made with a merino yarn (Debbie Bliss Rialto 4-ply), which is softer and has better stitch definition than the yarn I used here (I had had it in my stash for ages, I am not 100% sure what it is but I think its Regis wool sock yarn). I also have a feeling that this yarn was a bit finer than the one I used for the originals. 

Regardless, it is clear that they work just as well shorter, so if you are feeling a bit lazy or are short of yarn, then go for it. 

I also messed up the thumb slightly (its in purl rather than knit, or rib, which I think is what the original pattern called for), but we can pretend that this was a design feature ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment