Sunday 14 December 2014

Holiday stars with Francoise

A couple of years ago Orla Keily did a line for Uniqlo that featured a really cute 60s-style dress with 3/4 sleeves and collar in a range of pretty Orla Keily prints. Within a few weeks, at least three of us at work turned up wearing it. It became one of those slightly stressful affairs where you really want to wear something but don't because you assume that someone else is going to be wearing the same thing.

Anyway, that was kind of a random comment, but when I saw the Francoise dress by Tilly and the Buttons, I immediately thought of that Orla Keily dress (which I still wear loads). So now I had to have the pattern!  (it helped that Tilly did a little pattern sale at some point in November so I could justify it on top of the Love at First Stitch book).

I thought I'd be a bit more organised and aim for a more successful sewing session by making a toile - this is basically a fake, pre-dress to check if you need to alter the pattern. My duvet cover dress (!) seemed ok other that the waist doing with a bit of taking in; I had combined two different sizes already to accommodate the hips but I couldn't work out how to go down a size at the waist. The sleeves also seemed to be positioned slightly in the wrong place and felt a little tight.

Lovely duvet cover dress



I also wanted to try Tilly's method of tracing the pattern directly onto the fabric. It didn't work, at least not with this fabric. I tried white, yellow, red and blue tracing paper, but you could barely see the marks. I spent hours trying to do this, determined to make it work. In the end, I settled for using the carbon to transfer the pattern onto tracing paper (which was much easier than using a pen).

So without further ado, here is the real thing. I am sooooo happy with it, I couldn't stop staring at it after I finished it late last night (it took some marathon sewing sessions to get it done by the end of the weekend).



Yes, it could be a bit more fitted around the waist (I improved on the toile by taking the back darts in, which were simpler than the the front darts). And yes, it is a little loose around the back shoulder area. But at this point I am happy to have made such a pretty dress that fits me. I am sure that with time and confidence I will learn to make alterations to make the fit even better.



I shortened the sleeves slightly (by 5 cm) from the pattern and also changed the seam allowance to 1cm, which took care of the restriction I experienced with the toile. I'd also seen that Tilly suggested adding ribbon to the Megan dress, and I thought that might work quite well here too.

All in all, I would say this is the most successful project so far, and the one I am going to wear the most. I see many of these dresses, in different fabrics and pattern variations, in the future :)

No comments:

Post a Comment