Friday 14 August 2015

The last piece of the outfit - summer infinity scarf

Summer is not exactly the right time to making scarves, but my Miette and Birdy Skater outfit wouldn't be complete without a little infinity number for those slightly chilly London summer days (or for sitting in the office being blasted by frozen air).



This was made using the rest of the King Cole  Bamboo yarn from my Castle pullover, which I thought would be ideal as it is light, shiny and very very soft. As this is DK yarn, the 7.5 dpi heddle that came with my little loom seemed appropriate, although at some point I feel I should buy a heddle for thinner yarns to make finer scarves and fabrics.

I opted for a thin scarf width-wise, and calculated the length based on the two infinite scarves I have from Fat Face that I wear all the time. Unsurprisingly, I worked it out wrong. Not only did I measure the scarves incorrectly, I didn't add enough length for the inevitable wastage.

But no matter, this just means that the scarf goes around my neck twice rather than 3 times, and given that it is a bit thicker than my Fat Face scarves, 3 times may have been a bit too warm for summer.



The next challenge was to 'infinitise' the scarf by sewing the ends together. It took me over a month to do this, but I got there after finishing Birdy Skater. Sewing was obviously not an issue but then I wasn't really sure what to do with the ends, I tried using the mock overlock stitch on my machine but the threads were a little to big for that.

So, if anyone reading this can offer tips on how to finish edges, I would be so so grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment