Tuesday 9 June 2015

Starry Crepe (the wearable kind)

I have spent the past month trying to decide what to sew next - this is turning into a serious obsession! I seem to be possessed with the idea that I have to make all of my own clothes, at least the fun things like dresses, as I get some much pleasure out of wearing my handmades. And yes, I have been knitting as well, its just that knitting progress is quite a bit slower.

The winner of my endless browsing of sewing patters was the Colette Crepe, a wrap dress that had the benefit of no zips or other closures, and the benefit of pockets, pockets! I bought the pdf pattern because of the instant gratification but also because of the bonus of having a digital copy of the pattern in case I cut the wrong size, tear it, whatever. It seemed like a good idea at the time anyway. Not so much while I was sellotaping together 58 pages of pattern. I think it took me about 2 hours (!), and I'm pretty sure I went a bit crazy (but didn't learn, I have since bought another pdf pattern, but at least that one is only 22 pages).

While I was researching the dress I saw that there had been a sew-along on a popular sewing blog, with tips on sewing, fitting etc, and I had all the best intentions to read through it, but I didn't. I also didn't try and fit it on a muslin/toile first either. I just can't deal with the extra effort yet, as I said before, I see the first copy of the dress as a wearable muslin that I can learn from and improve on next time.

Anyway, enough talking. Here's the dress. I had to combine a size 2 for the top and a size 8 for the bottom, which seems crazy but the sizes are actually very close together.



And, surprise, surprise, it's a little big. I mean, its a wrap dress so its not especially noticeable, and I probably wouldn't have expected a better fit from a store-bought dress, but if I don't tie it tight enough around my waist, the back sags a bit. So I am tempted to cute the bodice in a size 0 next time and maybe decrease the skirt one size as well, its quite a full skirt so it can probably handle it.



Even so, its really cute, especially with this fabric. I really like the back when its not saggy and I think its a much better way to do a wrap dress (the ones that wrap in the front always seem a little frumpy to me).  I also loooove the pockets, its so great being able to carry stuff around without a bag or even to simply rest my hands in them. I hadn't really understood how the whole thing would come together while I was sewing it, so one of the pockets is inside-out, oops! But its so simple, I think I could add similar pockets to other dresses as well quite easily now.




No comments:

Post a Comment