Wednesday 10 September 2014

I'm on a roll! Bandana cowl

I've been even more productive, making a second knit in the same week. This is the Bandana Cowl that I knit for a friend (after, once again, spending hours browsing Ravelry for patterns, and also starting and frogging a few).

Don't ask why there's a weird glow on my face, no photo editing could get rid of it! 


I used some of the Colinette Zero I had left over from the Under the Cover of Midnight cowl, and I can now say with some certainty that I don't really like this yarn. Its frizzy (and I have enough of that in my life already), and heavily textured (which means that the thick and thin bits complicate making anything with lace or with any sort of defined border). The colours are beautiful, its nice, snuggly and warm, but its just a pain. 

This was quite a nice little pattern that I might well make again when knitting gifts, pretty fast because of the short rows, which are used to knit the 'point' of the bandana (another yarn issue here, because of the multiple colours and weird thicknesses, I couldn't quite see the wraps so I had to use a marker as a reminder).

Also, if I were to make it again, I would probably opt for a worsted or aran weight yarn. The pattern calls for bulky yarn  but my gauge was way way off - I decided to go for it with the 6mm needle even though it was not quite right because I was worried it would be too dense with a smaller-size needle. 

So I was basically winging it. I followed the pattern until the wraps, then lost track because of the yarn but then got into a bit of a rhythm. When the short rows were done, I did not follow the decreases as written because the cowl was getting a little too long (wrong gauge and all). I only knitted one row in between for the first three decreases and then did three more decreases consecutively. It worked, somehow. I feel that this is a recurring theme in my life!



Link to Ravelry here

No comments:

Post a Comment