Saturday 5 April 2014

A knitting owlette original - the maymay headband

Since I started knitting, like most people I have followed patterns, seeking inspiration through the many pages on ravelry. I have modified patterns to better suit my tastes or needs, but that's where it ended. But the other day I thought: why not try to design some of my own?

Given my headband obsession, it seemed fitting to start there, and so I present the maymay headband. This cute little accessory (which is a little weather-inappropriate in the UK at the moment) will keep your ears warm and not mess up your hair. It is based on the xoxo honeycomb pattern, surrounded by 3 rows of 2x2 rib to provide elasticity. 

If you are wondering about the name, it is named after the phrase for I love you in Furbish - yes, Furbish (remember Furbies from the late 90s?). Given that the pattern is xoxo (ie hugs and kisses) and that I made it for my friend Kathryn who I used to use the phrase with, it just seemed right! 

Materials
5mm circular needles, cable needle
Yarn: Manos de Uruguay wool classica (or other similar aran-weight yarn)

Gauge
I had some trouble calculating this (first time and all) but the gauge will not be massively important unless you are way off
13 stitches in xoxo honeycomb pattern= 2 inches

Abbreviations
k: knit
p: purl
c4b: place 2 stitches on cable needle and hold to the back, knit the next 2 stitches and then knit the stitches on the cable needle
c4f: place 2 stitches on cable needle and hold to the front, knit the next 2 stitches and then knit the stitches on the cable needle

Pattern
Cast on 90 stitches and join in the round, being careful not to twist
Row 1: *k2 p2*, repeat until last 2 stitches, k2
Rows 2,3: repeat row 1
Rows 4, 5: k across
Row 6: k *c4f c4b c4b c4f* repeat from * until last 5 stitches, c4f c4b k
Rows 7, 8, 9: k across
Row 10: k *c4b c4f c4f c4b* repeat from * until last 5 stitches, c4b c4f k
Row 11: k across
Repeat rows 4-11 once more
Next 3 rows: repeat rows 1-3 once more
Bind off loosely, hide the loose ends and block lightly

That's it! Pretty simple but gives a very interesting cable that looks like XO.

XO or hourglass I guess?


I tried to write everything out as detailed as possible, but I have missed anything please let me know so that I can bear in mind for next time or modify this pattern. I have also added it on ravelry.






No comments:

Post a Comment