Monday 24 March 2014

Peanut butter chocolate squares (brownies-ish)

I have concluded that each year I find a 'weird' baking type to follow and stick to rather than regular cakes, possibly because it sounds more interesting and challenging, possibly because I associate some sort of health benefit to it. Last year it was the vegetable cakes, and now this year it seems I am becoming interested in raw and vegan baking.

I decided not to buy yet another cookbook, but I had a look at the Post-punk kitchen website, as their recipe books seem to feature very heavily on Amazon while I was researching vegan baking books. There, I came across a recipe for a peanut butter blondie, and just the mention of peanut butter for me means it is love at first sight!

As usual, I did not follow the recipe as written, because what could be better than a peanut butter square, but a peanut butter and chocolate square (mmm, peanut butter and chocolate...). There is something insanely delicious about this combination that works even with slightly disgusting ingredients in things like reeces peanut butter cups.

Anyway, here is my modified recipe:

230 gr crunchy peanut butter (I used Meridian, which is a natural one)
30 gr coconut oil (the original recipe called for rapeseed oil, so I am sure that would work fine too)
100 gr brown sugar (for my non-sweet tooth, add more to make them sweeter)
60 ml almond milk (apparently any non-dairy milk would do here)
150 gr flour
Half tsp baking powder
Half tsp salt
3-4 tsps cacao powder
chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C
2. Mix the peanut butter, sugar and coconut oil in a bowl. I didn't bother melting the coconut oil first but it may have made the mixing a little easier.
3. Add the almond milk and mix through
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until it becomes like a dough. At this point it resembled more of a cookie dough than a brownie mix, and so I mixed it further by hand.
5. Line a small dish with baking paper and spread the mixture as evenly as possibly, using your hands and then a flat spatula to even it out at the top. Try to stop yourself from eating the raw dough.
6. Bake for around 20-25 minutes, until the ends look slightly crisp. The top will have coloured slightly but the inside will still be very soft.
7. Cool on a wire rack and then cut into squares.

Slightly crispy on the top, gooey and soft in the middle



Verdict: really yummy! As noted above, I had to stop myself from eating the raw dough (no eggs for those who are concerned about these things, so bonus).

Some crumbling issues, which I attributed to the lack of eggs, but after reading the comments at the bottom of the original recipe it sounds like the kind of peanut butter used might also have a role - they seem to suggest that a creamy peanut butter like the ones you buy in the supermarket is better at holding these together. If you do make them with a different kind of peanut butter and get no crumbliness, let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment