Tuesday 9 April 2013

Chocolate orange cupcakes

I have been experimenting with the lovely "Red velvet chocolate heartache" book for a few weeks now, with the cinnamon-banana loaf (in cupcake format) being a firm favourite. So at this point I decided I was brave enough to adapt one of the recipes extensively and create something of my own (and thus for which I can post the recipe here, yay!).

Chocolate and orange cupcakes (makes 12)

3 eggs
180 grams light  muscovado sugar
200 grams butternut squash
100 grams ground almonds
100 grams plain flour
60 grams cocoa powder
zest and juice of one  orange
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (fan oven)
  2. Grate the butternut squash very finely
  3. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes
  4. Add the butternut squash and mix until incorporated
  5. Add the ground almonds, flour, cocoa, zest and orange juice, baking powder and salt, and mix for another 1-2 minutes
  6. Using a tablespoon, add the mixture into cupcake cases within a tray - I have a silicone one so that can be used without the cases, which is handy.
  7. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool in the tray on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully take the cupcakes out of the tray and allow to cool completely on the wire rack.
I am not a fan of frosting, as mentioned before, and I think these are really good on their own. However, I understand I am a bit weird in this respect, so if you are a fan of frosting just use your favourite recipe to garnish these.

Chocolate orange cupcakes in the front, cinnamon-banana-pecan ones in the back



No comments:

Post a Comment